Selayang, Mature And Vibrant
A township with a lot to offer now and in the near future
Selayang lies within the district of Gombak and is about 10 km northwest of Kuala Lumpur, and a few kilometres away from Kepong, Rawang and Batu Caves. Bandar Baru Selayang, a new township in the area is sited just 2 km away and was named after the town, where Majlis Perbandaran Selayang is located. Most of Selayang is administered by Majlis Perbandaran Selayang while part of the town that spills over into the Federal Territory of Kuala Lumpur is administered by Dewan Bandaraya Kuala Lumpur.
Managing Director of Oregeon Property Consultancy Sdn Bhd, Sr Wong Wen Chet said “The town is built mostly with terrace houses and village houses, and unlike other nearby schemes where high rise buildings are preferred while being built in high volume to maximize the use of land. Other than residential schemes, industrial activities are found mostly along Jalan Ipoh, however not much commercial activity has been carried out here in the township.”
Wong opined, “It is noted that most of the recent projects are a mixture of residential and commercial developments within a wide range of entry prices from low-cost semi-detached houses to luxurious villas. It is expected that with the huge supply of affordable residential units, the population in Selayang will have a great impact upon realisation of these projects. However not all projects within Selayang have had smooth passage. There are projects that have been struggling on certain issues causing some delays.”
Currently, Selayang is undergoing a moderate yet rapid development of notable properties. For example:
SALCON’S RÉS 280
In 2013, Salcon ventured into the property development business with its maiden project in the fast growing township of Selayang, Selangor Darul Ehsan. As an emerging player in property development, the Group has been looking to further strengthen the property development division by aggressively expanding its landbank and strategic partnership with land owners.
Located within Taman Selayang Jaya and directly fronting the Kepong – Selayang Highway, Rés 280 is an exciting development which provides a work-life balance to its residents. Rés 280 is an exclusive back-to-nature development located along the Selayang – Kepong Highway in Selayang. The resort lifestyle SoHo and shop commercial title project is a joint venture between Salcon and Mepro Marketing, who appointed Azitin Venture as the developer. Built on approximately one-acre of land, the development has an expected GDV of RM140 million.
Rés 280 comprises of a 20-storey block with 280 SoHo units and 12 shops located on the ground floor. The built-up for the dual-purpose space units range from 845 sf to 890 sf. Each home office has two rooms and two bathrooms with lots of open areas for a living room or an office. The small room can be used as a bedroom, personal workstation or a utility room. There is also a balcony for residents to utilise, where the higher units facing north would have a view of Forest Research Institute Malaysia (FRIM).
Each unit of Rés 280 is complimented with quality kitchen cabinets, hood and hob. The 10-foot high ceiling, assists in creating an airy space, complimenting the porcelain tiles, power coated aluminum glass windows and solid timber door finishing.
Anticipated as being the next iconic landmark in Selayang, the premise of Rés 280 certainly holds potential. With its resort living concept, landscaped gardens and plenty of outdoor areas for residents to utilise, this joint venture project offers prospective buyers a different living ambience than most would find in the area.
FACTS & FIGURES
The average price and transaction volume of non-landed residences in Selayang (Selangor), have been on diverging paths since mid-2013 with momentum picking up in recent years.
The local secondary market has been buoyed by the many new developments in Selayang. The new projects are more upmarket such as Rés 280, 228 Selayang, Emerald Avenue, Selayang 18, Selayang Star City and V-Residensi. These projects will contribute some 2,100 new residential units to Selayang in the next few years.
Generally, transaction data reveals that average prices have been rising across all market segments. However, transaction activity has fallen significantly in the lower-end segments thus, the average price of the region has spiked upwards.
The Selangor portion of Selayang, is a fairly mature suburb. The non-landed residential landscape is dominated by low-cost apartments, and the mass market remains fairly affordable.
- Rés 280 is a mixed development comprising of 280 units of SOHO suites and 12 units of retail offices in a single towered twenty-storey building was recently launched by Azitin Venture Sdn Bhd. It has a built up range between 845 square feet to 890 square feet selling at RM470 to RM560 per square foot.
- Polaris Suites is the first phase residential development within Selayang Star City project by Leadmont Group. The twenty-eight (28) storey building will have 600 suites with a built-up ranging from 624 square feet to 983 square feet. The average selling price is about RM550 per square foot and was snapped up with a take-up rate at 85% of units sold.
- V-Residensi is the two (2) block twenty-one (21) storey semi furnished building is developed by MCT Land offering a total of 482 units of condominiums that has a built-up size ranging between 1,042 square feet to 1,213 square feet and the launch price will start at RM383,000.
- Selayang 18 Residence by F3 Capital Sdn Bhd is located within Bandar Baru Selayang and right next door to Majlis Perbandaran Selayang. It has a built-up size range of between 856 square feet to 1,264 square feet and is selling at RM445,000 to RM646,000 (RM510 to RM520 per square foot).
- Lakepark Residence presents 916 units of serviced apartments is being developed by JL99 Development Sdn Bhd. With a built-up sizes measuring from 975 square feet to 1,548 square feet, it comes in six (6) different sizes and with 19 designs options. The price starts from RM521, 625 to RM1,089,600 (RM535 to RM700 per square foot).
- Emerald Avenue service apartments and SOHO is a newly completed development located within Prima Selayang and right next to Hospital Besar Selayang and UITM Medical Campus Selayang with a built-up size ranging between 612 square feet to 1,131 square feet with a selling price of RM450 to 500 per square foot.
- 228 Selayang Condominium is a newly completed development by Mahumas Sdn Bhd and offers a total of 219 units of condominiums of which 9 units are villas. 7 designs are available for condominium with the built up size of 965 square feet. The developer price starts from RM288,000 to RM439,000.
- T-Parklands Condominium is located within Templer Park, is a one (1) block of sixteen (16) storey building with the built-up size between1,235 square feet to 1,669 square feet and the price starts from RM270 to RM300 per square foot.
- Dolomite Park Avenue, a project by Dolomite Properties, will launch two (2) blocks of twenty-nine (29) storey buildings comprising 474 units of condominiums. Dolomite Park Avenue has a wide range of units, starting from 1,171 square feet, 1,200 square feet, 1,212 square feet, 1,270 square feet, 1,233 square feet, 1,310 square feet, 1,386 square feet, 1,518 square feet and 2,583 square feet. The launch price starts at RM391,500.
According to the Head, Market Research and Valuation Helpdesk Department of Firdaus & Associates Property Professionals Research, Farizan Ivana Hamzah, “Overall, the movement of prices within the Selayang area is on the uptrend depending on the product introduced especially so with gated and guarded communities, comprehensive facilities, new concepts and designs.”
“The new commercial property offers three (3) and four (4) storey shop-offices with a land size of 1,430 square feet to 1,650 square feet and the built-up area is about 4,136 square feet to 6,424 square feet. The price for the three (3) storey shop-office is about RM1,600,000 to RM2,900,000 depending on the location and the type of business activities within the said area. Meanwhile for the four (4) storey shop-offices, the price range is between RM2,700,000 to RM4,000,000,” she added.
AMENITIES & ACCESSIBILITIES
Among amenities built in Selayang are the Stadium MPS, the MPS Sri Siantan Sports Center (namely the public swimming pool, locally known as Kompleks Sukan Sri Siantan), Selayang Hospital, the public library, public universities and lots more.
In the planning and implementation of Selayang Hospital, the Ministry of Health (MOH) has worked in line with the objective of Vision 2020 whereby Malaysia shall reach the status of a developed country by 2020. This implies that Selayang Hospital is designed and equipped to meet world class standards. It is also a centre specialising in Gastroenterology, Rheumatology, Hepatology, Hepatobiliary Surgery, Vitreoretinal Surgery, Colorectal Surgery, Microsurgery, and The Renal system.
In addition to that, the Selayang Hospital Library which which opened its doors on 15 August 2005 in tandem with the Faculty of Medicine and Universiti Teknologi MARA’s (UiTM), all have a presence at Selayang Hospital. UiTM shares the premise with Hospital Selayang Library and places its staff to man the service counters alongside Hospital Librarys staff.
Apart from UiTM – Selayang campus, there is the International Islamic University Malaysia (IIUM) Selayang for tertiary education. There is also the Selayang Community College for those who want to a more affordable education, resulting in certification or diplomas.
Selayang Capitol and Selayang Mall are both popular landmarks of the area. Pasar Borong Selayang (Selayang wholesale market) is also well-known among households and wholesale traders throughout Selangor. It is one of the busiest markets, attracting people to purchase wet products at cheap prices. Other than that, Selayang Hot Spring is also a very popular place among locals.
Selayang is on the main route to Rawang through Jalan Ipoh, and this route is connected to Jalan Kuching as the main Rawang-Kuala Lumpur route. It is also an optional getaway to Damansara via the Kepong-Selayang Highway, which is a neighboring town to the southwest. There is also a a route connecting Selayang and Gombak towards the east through Jalan Batu Caves.
RapidKL and Metrobus provide bus services within the Selayang area and passes through the Batu Caves Komuter station, formerly the old Batu Caves railway.
Wong said, “Access to the township is mainly off Jalan Lingkaran Tengah 2 (MRR II), Jalan Ipoh, Jalan Batu Cave, Selayang Kepong Highway, or Jalan Sungai Tua. The current available rail system is merely the KTM commuter station located in Batu Caves, nevertheless upgrading works have been planned. In view of this, the MRT line 3 is proposed to enhance transport capacity in the northern corridor linking the developing regions of Selayang, Sungai Buloh and Kepong. Upon completion of these facilities, it is believed that it will ease current traffic conditions, bringing a positive vibe vitality to the town.”
If you have any suggestions on this article, please send to email@example.com.